I’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident. What should I do?

Call the police if there are injuries. If you are injured, seek medical treatment. If you or someone with you are able, obtain the following information after the collision:
The full name of the driver of the other vehicle, his/her address and a telephone number
The full names of any witnesses, their addresses, and telephone numbers
The name of the other driver’s auto insurance carrier, policy number if available, and a telephone number for the insurance claim department – this should be on the back of their proof of insurance card which all drivers are required to carry in their vehicles.
The license numbers of the vehicles involved, noting the one that hit your vehicle and how the others were involved. Include any notes like make/model, the type of vehicle if not a car, and whether or not the vehicle was a commercial vehicle.
The name of the police officer and the case number if a police officer responds to the scene.
Information regarding the scene, such as: What streets and lanes were you and the other vehicle traveling? What direction were you each moving? What were the road conditions and visibility that day? Were there any traffic signs or signals? What damage did you notice to your car and the other vehicles or property involved?
If you have a camera on your cell phone, take photos of the damage to the vehicles. If you don’t have access to a camera, photos can be taken later by your attorney or someone you know.
If you have cuts, abrasions, or bruises, take photographs.
Call your insurance company to report the accident.
If you were injured on the job you may also have a workers’ compensation claim. An experienced Minnesota workers’ compensation attorney can determine if you have a claim and the additional benefits you may be entitled to in addition to your personal injury claim. > Learn more.
If you develop increasing pain, stiffness, or any otherwise unexplainable headaches, dizziness or nausea, see a doctor as soon as possible.
Do not sign any documents or give any recorded statements prior to speaking with a personal injury lawyer.