What are the requirements for filing a civil claim against an at-fault party in a car accident case?

In Minnesota, there are minimum requirements, or “tort thresholds” that must be met in order to claim non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering or loss of enjoyment in life, in a motor vehicle liability case. You must meet one of the following tort thresholds in order to pursue non-economic damages:

A permanent injury as determined by a doctor.
Disablement for at least 60 days.
At least $4,000.00 in non-diagnostic medical care or treatment. This amount does not include “diagnostic” treatment such as MRI’s and CT-scans.