The house was built in 1912. It was a simple 2-story traditional style home painted white with black trim. The closets smell like plaster, the water tastes like lead, and there’s a space heater in the upstairs room. It’s just like the home my grandparents lived in. We’ve all seen this house, it’s the kind of older home with three-prong outlets, and no ground wire. So, it’s no surprise when it actually goes up in flames.
The smoke produced with a house fire is not like your ordinary bonfire smoke. There are numerous carcinogens in a house that when burned can cause extensive health issues to those who come in contact with the fire or inhale its smoke. Coming into contact with excessive natural wood smoke is bad enough, but when you add vinyl, sheetrock, linoleum, asbestos, and paint, to name a few, the dangers can be startling.